The Kathleen Monahan Foundation provides supplemental funding and enhancements to a variety of performing arts venues throughout the greater Tarpon Spring Florida area. The Foundation supports artistic, professional and enjoyable arts and arts education opportunities for our community. Foundation income is used to enable high quality arts programs to grow, by helping to fund capital projects and performing arts activities that will increase the ability of people from all cultural and economic backgrounds to experience the joy and wonder the arts bring to our lives.
Arts for Life
Through the Arts I…
1. Nurture my creativity 2. Build my confidence 3. Learn to see problems as opportunities 4. Persevere through many challenges 5. Learn that I must focus to achieve my goals 6. See that communication is more than just words 7. Improve by accepting constructive feedback 8. Collaborate with others to create amazing things 9. Understand my choices affect others 10. Experience the benefits of my dedication
…learn what I need to succeed!
Written by Lisa Phillips, author of The Artistic Edge.
- To support, promote and fund the arts in the greater Tarpon Springs area for the betterment of our community.
- The mission of the Kathleen Monahan Foundation is to enhance quality of life for people living in the greater Tarpon Springs area by promoting and supporting performing arts programs. In this way we make every effort to fulfill our motto, Arts for Life.
How it Began
- The Kathleen Monahan Foundation is the brainchild of Brent Wadsworth, the founder and CEO of Wadsworth Golf Construction Company. The Wadsworth Family’s decision to establish a foundation that would help support Tarpon Arts, the City of Tarpon Springs arts program, is just one of many examples of the family’s philanthropy and dedication to excellence in local community arts. The donation of a 9-foot concert grand Baldwin piano is one of the first instances of the family’s commitment to supporting superior performing arts experiences in Tarpon Springs.
- A number of years ago, Mr. Wadsworth proposed that he would make a significant donation to a foundation that had as its mission to financially assist the Tarpon Arts program in providing artistic, professional, and enjoyable arts opportunities for the greater Tarpon Springs, Florida area. The one stipulation was that the foundation be named for the City’s Cultural and Civic Services Director, Kathleen Monahan, as a tribute to her role in working with the City to help revitalize the community through the arts, making it a recognized arts and cultural destination. The Kathleen Monahan Foundation became a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation on December 12, 2012.
Courtesy of Tampa Bay Magazine: Photos by Margaret Word Burnside: (left to right) Founders-Brent and Jean Wadsworth, Artist Christopher M. Still and Foundation Honoree Kathleen Monahan, Supporters opera luminary Sherrill Milnes and Maria Zouves.
Where We Are Now
- Since its inception, the Foundation has held annual and biannual fundraising events featuring nationally and internationally acclaimed performing artists. Each year the Foundation provides funds to the Tarpon Arts program to enable under-served children and adults to attend and participate in performing arts events. The foundation successfully spearheaded the campaign to renovate and upgrade the Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center, which included a much needed renovation and upgrading of the 295-seat Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center.In 2017/2018 we funded renovation of the lobby area which includes updated seating, a quality vending area, enhanced art displays and community activity information availability. The next project for 2018, in our continuing efforts to make the Performing Arts Center an upscale, quality experience for patrons, is renovation of the ticketing area. The Kathleen Monahan Foundation supports the mission of the Tarpon Arts program to the fullest extent, ensuring that entertainment and artistic excellence will be readily available to the entire Tarpon Springs area community now and for the future.